Saturday, May 15, 2010

ICD borderline criteria

If I were to go by the ICD, there's no way I could be borderline! For starters, I would need 3 of:

1. marked tendency to act unexpectedly and without consideration of the consequences;
2. marked tendency to quarrelsome behaviour and to conflicts with others, especially when impulsive acts are thwarted or criticized;
3. liability to outbursts of anger or violence, with inability to control the resulting behavioural explosions;
4. difficulty in maintaining any course of action that offers no immediate reward;
5. unstable and capricious mood.

AND 2 of:

1. disturbances in and uncertainty about self-image, aims, and internal preferences (including sexual);
2. liability to become involved in intense and unstable relationships, often leading to emotional crisis;
3. excessive efforts to avoid abandonment;
4. recurrent threats or acts of self-harm;
5. chronic feelings of emptiness.

AND these would have to be chronic, pervasive and present across all situations.

The only of the first section that I could possibly have are unstable mood and tendency to act without consideration of the consequences. Definitely not the others. And I do consider consequences, I just decide that I don't care at the time. I'm obviously capable of maintaining a course of action that has no immediate reward. I just also tend to really enjoy things that give an immediate reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment