Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How can I be so sure....

...that I want to be a psychologist? There are many other things I could do, and when I think of that it scares me.

I don't really know who I am or what I'm into. Maybe I would like to do photography, learn a language, be a philosopher, be a perpetual student, get a job (any job), conduct research, help people, write, become an accountant or a cook. Or maybe I could own a cattery.

I guess it boils down to black-and-white thinking. I'm neither black nor white in any dimension. I could do many things, but eventually I will be doing something as a job.

There are a few reasons I really want to be a psychologist:
1. There seems to be a lot of work out there for psychologists.
2. I want to help people.
3. Other jobs would be boring and unfulfilling e.g. being an accountant, working for a bank.
4. I want a job that suits my personality.
5. Career tests say that I should have a job helping people.
6. Psychology is what I'm most interested in.
7. I particularly want to help people who have the same problems that I've been through.
8. I think I might be good at it.
9. It's well paying.
10. I'm probably not suited to a lot of other jobs that might interest me.
11. I want the option to work for myself or to work part time.
12. I really enjoy talking to people and helping them with their problems.

Now that I'm at the point in my life when I can finally see something ahead of me, I think commitment is the key. I would love to continue studying different things and fantasising about all the things I could do, but at some point I need a stable job. Being a psychologist would be an awesome job, and I know that there will always be work.

To make sure I really can handle helping people who have a lot of problems, I think volunteering is a good idea. Also, I want to try working as a carer for disabled people. If I hate it, then at least I'll find that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment